“90% of people with access to the internet use social media.” (Hootsuite)
The birth of social media platforms has paved a new wave for online interaction and communication.
To marketers, the presence of social media has given a sharp rise to many new opportunities for growing business. Not only do they offer possibilities to communicate beyond temporal, spatial, and geographical boundaries, but they also allow you to share trendy content, videos, photos, or shop online.
Considering each social media platform possesses a unique audience and engaging approach, how to cater your content to magnetize the audience on these sites carries a lot of weight.
How much should you invest in these social networks? How to make sure your marketing strategies on these networks work well?
To help you make the most of these platforms, in this case study, we’ll showcase essential and interesting social media statistics in 2021.
The insight drawn from these figures will give you a better understanding of your target market and audience, as well as shaping an “all-kill” social media strategy.
- General Social Media Statistics
- Social Media Usage Statistics
- Social Media Statistics in Advertising and Marketing
- Social Media Statistics on Each Platform
General Social Media Statistics
1. How Many People Use Social Media in 2021?
According to Datareportal, as of 2021, the number of social media users around the world has reached over 4.33 billion. This figure equates to more than 55% of the total global population.
The reason may vary. However, we can’t deny the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has contributed to this result. Kepios analysis reported that over 521 million more users are joining social media worldwide today, compared to this time last year. This represents annualized growth of 13.7%.
Just doing simple math, we can see the number of social media users has increased by 1.4 million+ each day over the past 12 months. This equals 16.5 new users every single second.
2. What is the Average Time People Spend on Social Media?
2 hours and 25 mins per day.
What’s more, as to Datareportal, a typical active user usually checks out 7 social platforms each month.
Counted together, we can figure out the total amount of time the whole world spends on social media in 2021, which will definitely blow your mind.
That is 3.7 trillion hours, equivalent to more than 420 million years of human existence.
In particular, the Philippines is still holding “the world’s biggest social media consumer” title, where people average 4h15 per day on social media.
On the contrary, the Japanese use social platforms the least, with 51 minutes a day.
3. Which Countries Owned the Most Social Media Users in 2020?
- China: +110 million
- India: +78 million
- The Philippines: +16 million
- Mexico: +11 million
- Brazil, Indonesia, and the USA: +10 million each
4. Which Are the Fastest-growing Social Networks?
Measured by monthly activated users (MAU), Facebook proves a clear-cut winner as it currently holds over 2.6 billion MAUs. It’s also the first social network to surpass 1 billion registered accounts. (Statista)
5. Customers vs Social Media
Nowadays, more and more buyers tend to browse social networks to look for product reviews and recommendations. GlobalWebIndex pointed out that 54% of browsers surf on various social networks for product research.
On top of that:
- 44.8% of global internet users used social media to search for brand information in 2020. (Hootsuite)
- 56% of girls and women between the ages of 16 and 24 conduct brand research on social media. (Hootsuite)
- 71% of consumers who have had a positive experience with a brand on social media are likely to recommend it to their friends and family. (Lyfemarketing)
At this point, it doesn’t leave you open-mouthed that social media marketing is crucial for your business. The thing is that you must build an excellent online presence and stay interacting with users via comments, inboxes, and mentions on multiple platforms.
6. How Many People Use Social Networks for Business?
Hootsuite’s social media statistics reveal that 40.4% of all internet users on this planet utilize social media for business purposes.
While only 27% of American adults actively use social media for professions, the corresponding number has achieved the highest in Indonesia at 65%, or the lowest at 13% in Israel.
In details, the number of users utilizing social media accounts for work per country is:
- India: 47%
- Canada: 31%
- Australia: 30%
- USA: 27%
- UK: 27% (Backlinko)
7. What Are the Best Times to Post on Social Media?
Each platform has an ideal time to post based on consumer usage. Following are the best time to post for each social network:
- Best times: Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday 9 a.m - 1 p.m.
- Best days: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
- Worst day: Saturday
- Best times: Tuesday 11 a.m - 2 p.m, Monday to Friday 11 a.m.
- Best day: Tuesday
- Worst day: Sunday
- Best times: Wednesday 9 a.m - 3 p.m, Tuesday to Thursday 9-11 a.m.
- Best day: Wednesday
- Worst day: Saturday
- Best times: Tuesday to Thursday 9 a.m - noon
- Best days: Tuesday, Wednesday
- Worst day: Sunday
Social Media Usage Statistics
According to Hootsuite and We Are Social, 65% of people aged 13+ around the globe have a social media account. To dig deep into their usage, we’ll present social media statistics by generation, gender, regions, and on mobile devices.
Social Media Usage Statistics by Generation
A survey conducted by Pew Research Center has revealed interesting figures on social media usage statistics by generation in the US.
To break it down, around 84% of U.S adults aged from 18-29 use at least one social media site. This percentage slightly falls to 81% and 73% for the age ranging from 30-49 and 50-64 respectively. People who are above 65 years old use social networks the least, with 45%.
Social Media Usage Statistics by Gender
Regarding the use of social media by gender globally, men hold 54% while women acquire the rest - 46%. However, this number seems different in the States. Among all female internet users, 78% of them have social network accounts, compared with 66% of all men.
Below are social media statistics by gender in specific regions:
- North America: 55% female vs 45% male users
- South America: 53% female vs 47% male users
- Asia: 41.2% female vs 58.8% male users
- Europe: 52.5% female vs 47.5% male users
- Africa: 41% female vs 59% male users (Backlinko)
Social Media Usage Statistics by Regions
The world’s largest continent - Asia - is home to the three areas that get the highest number of social media users.
Eastern Asia comes first in the list where houses over 1 billion social media users. This social media statistic doesn’t knock your sock off, since this region consists of the world’s most populous country - China.
The region with the second-highest number of social media users is Southeast Asia, with 482.73 million users. Following closely behind is Southern Asia with 470.01 million.
Rounding out the top five are Northern America and South America with 329.25 and 274.22 million users respectively.
The regions having the least number of social site users are Central Africa with 12.38 million users and Central Asia with 13.93 million users.
Social Media Usage Statistics on Mobile Devices
98.8% of all social media users access social channels via a mobile device. Also, around 80% of the total time spent on social networks is on mobiles. In particular, people spend an average of 4 hours and 10 minutes on those devices every day.
Social Media Statistics in Advertising and Marketing
No one can deny the immense power of social media in promoting brands and products. The following social media statistics will give you a clear insight into how brands are riding the wave of social media marketing.
- Roughly 3/4 (73%) out of 1,800+ marketing professionals from Buffer believe that their efforts through social media marketing have been "somewhat effective" or "very effective" for their business.
- 94% of marketers use Facebook. Instagram comes in second with 76%, followed by LinkedIn (59%) and Twitter (53%). (Social Media Examiner)
- The top 3 ways marketers focus their social media content on are teaching (61%), storytelling (58%), and inspirational posts (53%). (Sprout Social)
- 58% of B2C companies consider the time and money spent on social media to be valuable, as compared to 46% of B2B companies. (Clutch)
- The top 3 platforms that marketers use to post organic videos and video ads are YouTube, Facebook, and LinkedIn. (Wyzowl)
- 54% of Gen Z and 49% of Millenials say social media is their preferred channel for ad influence. (Pitney Bowes)
- US social media ad spending is expected to increase 21.3% to 49 billion USD in 2021.
- 53% of organizations engage in paid social ads. (Hootsuite)
However, though running Ads proves useful in raising businesses’ voice and reputation online, they can ruin the browsing experience of users.
- 42.7% of internet users worldwide use ad blockers. Among them, 22.3% say “too many ads” and “ads are annoying and irrelevant” are the top 2 reasons.
- 2 out of 3 social media users expect brands to advertise in safe, positive spaces.
Social Media Statistics on Each Platform
Each social network is truly a huge gold mine for marketers. To help you make the most of these gold mines, we have put together a detailed list of social media statistics based on each platform.
Facebook has been shaping the social media landscape since its launch in 2004.
Constantly evolving to meet user needs, Facebook is the biggest social media platform on the planet with 2.32 billion+ active monthly users and 1.82 billion logged-in people every day.
And to marketers, this is definitely their #1 social media marketing channel.
- 53% of Gen Zs visit Facebook daily.
- 67% of Millennials visit Facebook daily.
- In terms of Facebook audience size, India wins the 1st rank with 310 million users. America, Brazil, and Indonesia come next with 190 million, 130 million, and 140 million Facebook users respectively. (Sprout Social)
- 43.6% of global active Facebook users are women whose ages are from 18-24. (Statista)
- 74% of people who earn at least 75 thousand dollars yearly are Facebook users. (Sprout Social)
- Facebook users spend 58 minutes per day on Facebook.
- 98.3% of users access Facebook from mobile devices.
- Videos posted directly on Facebook receive 530% more comments than YouTube videos shared on Facebook. (Quintly)
- Facebook Stories has been used by over 500 million users. (Facebook)
- 52% of all American adults get news from Facebook.
- Advertising is how Facebook makes most of its money. (Social Sprout). Facebook Ad Revenue is $21,221 (in millions), 22% up year-over-year.
- Links were the most commonly used content type for brands on the network at 44.2% of all brand posts. (Statista)
- 95.1% of all Facebook sessions take place on mobile. (TechJury)
- The average organic reach for a Facebook post is 5.2% of the page’s total likes.
- Images posted by Facebook pages are the most shared (55.6%) compared to other post types.
- The audience of Facebook ads is identified as 43% of female and 57% of male.
- Political content is the most viewed genre of Facebook Stories. (Statista)
- 81% of businesses prefer video marketing on Facebook. (Buffer)
Here are some amazing social media statistics to let you know the right potential of Instagram:
- Instagram is the second most-used social media platform among marketers, behind only Facebook. (HubSpot)
- Instagram currently has 1.2 billion monthly active users and 500 million of them use Instagram Stories.
- Instagram ads reach 20% of everyone in the world over the age of 13.
- 5% of U.S children under 12 use Instagram.
- 41% of people in the U.S use Instagram, including 5% of U.S children under 12, while 9% of Americans have no idea what Instagram is.
- The top 3 countries with the largest Instagram audiences are the US (140 million), India (120 million), and Brazil (95 million).
- US users spend an average of 29.6 minutes per day on Instagram.
- Instagram is the 8th ranked among the most-visited websites by traffic, according to Semrush, and the 5th ranked as to SimilarWeb.
- 81% of Instagrammers use the platform for product and service research purposes.
- 55% of fashion shoppers on Instagram have bought an item after seeing an influencer promote it.
- 80% of Instagram users follow a business. (Instagram)
- 42% of U.S. women on Instagram consider shopping a hobby. (Instagram)
- 150 million+ people use Instagram Direct every month to reach out to a business. (Instagram)
- Rival IQ found that the median engagement rate on Instagram is 1.22%, while Facebook and Twitter reach only 0.09% and 0.048% respectively. (Rival IQ)
- Posts and Stories are the top two most effective content types for influencer marketing. (Social Sprout).
- The average engagement rate for photo posts is 1.74%, video posts is 1.45%, and carousel posts is 1.94%.
- Business accounts having less than 10,000 followers gaining an average engagement rate of 1.55%. This number falls to 0.62% for business accounts with 10,000-100,000 followers.
As for Alexa, YouTube is the second-largest search engine in the world. The question is how this wizard has been and will affect the marketing world in 2021 and beyond
Let’s find out with the social media statistics compiled below:
- 73% of American adults use YouTube. It acquires the first spot for the most widely used online platform among US adults. (Pew Research)
- 85% of video marketers are using YouTube for content marketing. (HubSpot)
- 70% of total watch time on Youtube comes from mobile. (YouTube)
- YouTube accounts for more than 25% of total worldwide mobile traffic. (Sandvine)
- 14 minutes and 50 seconds is the ideal length for videos ranking on YouTube’s first page results. (Backlinko)
- 9/10 of the best-performing YouTube videos use a custom thumbnail. (YouTube)
- YouTube is the second most favored channel for businesses sharing video content. (Buffer)
- 78.9% of videos ranking in the top 10 of Google’s search results are hosted on YouTube. (Perficient Digital)
- YouTube on mobile devices reaches more adults aged 18 to 24 than any TV network. (YouTube)
- More than 500 hours of content is uploaded to YouTube every minute. (Statista)
Receiving 353 million monthly active users worldwide, Twitter is an essential medium to stay up to date with global hot potatoes from diverse related niches, including politics, celebrities, fashion trends, or business advertising.
Keep reading these social media statistics to get a better hang of this platform.
- Among 353 million active Twitter users, 200 million can monetize based on this platform daily. (Twitter)
- Over 500 million tweets are posted daily. (Twitter)
- Twitter was forecasted to gain about 2.8% user growth in 2020. However, the Coronal global pandemic pushed that up to 7.9%.
- 22% of American adults use Twitter.
- Tweets including hashtags reach 100% more engagement. (Twitter)
- 68.5% of Twitter users identify as men. (Hootsuite)
- Twitter is the top social platform in Japan, with 50.9 million users.
- Americans spend an average of 32.7 minutes daily on Twitter.
- Socially responsible ads on Twitter perform 12% better than standard ads. (Magna)
- When it comes to site traffic, Twitter boasts 36% growth yearly.
- 59% of B2B marketers and 53% of B2C marketers use Twitter to market their businesses. (Statista)
- Approximately 40% of Twitter users are willing to purchase directly from an influencer’s tweet. (Twitter)
- Mobile Twitter users spend an average of 158.2 minutes each month on this social site. (Statista)
- Tweets containing a GIF boost engagement by 55%. (Twitter)
- Twitter ads reach 5.8% of people worldwide.
- Besides using Twitter to consume news, people love perceiving media via this channel. 42% of Americans view photos as their favorite Twitter activity, while 32% use the platform for videos. (Statista)
Looking for a platform catering to your ideas and inspiration? No other platform can do it better than Pinterest. If you haven’t thought of including Pinterest in your social marketing strategy, these provided Pinterest statistics will change your minds.
Let see how Pinterest turn pins into more sales here:
- Pinterest has more than 250 million users. (Pinterest)
- Pinterest announced the monthly increase in users is 37% year over year, equating to 459 million people.
- 67% of Pinterest users are under 40 years old, and most pinners are between 18 and 29 years old.
- Searches for “positivity” on Pinterest are spiking with up to 65% in 2020.
- 85% of Pinterest usage occurs on mobile apps.
- 85% of female Pinterest users trust the app to plan life moments.
- More than 2 billion searches are conducted on Pinterest every month.
- 90% of weekly Pinterest users based on the platform in their path to purchase. (Pinterest)
- Pinterest helps 55% of users interested in fashion to discover style and fashion products. (Pinterest)
- 66% of users buy something from a brand after seeing one of their pins. (Pinterest)
- Within the last 12 months, 29% of B2C marketers used Pinterest to promote their businesses. (Content Marketing Institute)
- Adverts on Pinterest can reach 189 million people.
- Pinterest ads have a 2x higher ROI for retail brands, outstripping other social platforms.
- Pinterest ads perform a 2.3x more efficient cost per conversion, compared to other social platforms.
- 76% of pinners save items to purchase later.
- 85% of pinners put visuals first when shopping for apparel and furniture.
Released in 2016, out of the blue, TikTok took the social media world by storm. Though TikTok comes as a newbie, it isn’t inferior in terms of popularity and user endorsement.
Boasting quirky and hilarious content, this social media platform quickly sparks people’s interests and wins their hearts only after a few videos.
The social media statistics below will prove TikTok’s buzz-generating power.
- TikTok reached over 2 billion+ downloads and became the #1 most downloaded app in 2020.
- 850 million people use TikTok around the world. (Hootsuite)
- TikTok has 689 million monthly active users with 167 million daily active users. Americans contribute to this number with around 100 million monthly active users.
- TikTok users are identified as 53% of male and 47% female.
- 60% of all users in TikTok are Gen Z.
- 29% of US teens say TikTok is their preferred social platform.
Source: Marketing Charts
- Every day, users spend 52 minutes surfing TikTok.
- Over 34% of TikTokers shoot daily.
- 90% of all TikTok users access the app daily.
- According to American parents, TikTok is the most popular social platform for children under 11.
- TikTok has experienced 576% growth in site traffic, year over year.
- TikTok’s engagement rate is 69%.
- TikTok guarantees 5 million impressions daily for takeover ads.
- TikTok has surpassed Instagram as the second-favorite social media app among U.S. teenagers.
- Brands expect to pay $50,000 per day for a brand takeover, including five million impressions guaranteed on TikTok.
- 61% of TikTokers claimed that they would love to buy from brands that they see advertised on TikTok.
We have shown you the latest and most important social media statistics in 2021.
Keeping those social media statistics in mind will help you make the best out of your resources. This includes segmenting and catching your audience, as well as enhancing your marketing strategy on social media.
On top of that, you can discover the potential business opportunities among social media platforms here.
About now, how are you planning to use those social media statistics to your advantage in 2021? Share with us in the comment section below!